Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Tech'n While Your Down


I've experienced some really cool and new (for me at least) advantages in using technology recently. You see normally I am a very outgoing and active guy. It's quite hard for me to sit still and relax, but I've been forced to. A while back I busted me ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) in my knee. This required reconstructive surgery, whereby the take a piece of your hamstring tendon and use it for your ACL. So I had the surgery and was laid up at home for about two weeks. I later returned to work, but eventually my leg became infected. Long story short, I'm back in the hospital. I've been here for 2 weeks and have at least 2 more to go to clear everything up. Needless to say, I've missed a lot of school. However, I have not been totally out of the loop. Thanks to techonogy I have been able to stay in touch even while I lay in a hospital bed all along. Let me list the different things I have been using lately.
  1. Skype - to attend my Environmental Stewardship class when we had a guest speaker.
  2. Live feed - to attend the Technology Masters course.
  3. Chat lines - to chat while attend the Technology course.
  4. Wiki - this is actually the Env. class project. greenteacher.wetpaint.com It has struggled a bit, but is building.
  5. Blog - to make Green Panther updates. green-panthers.blogspot.com
  6. Email - to communicate with the sub and students.
  7. JING - this was the coolest by far.
The JING site at www.jingproject.org allows you to capture clips and make movies on your screen. This is not like iMovie or MovieMaker. It is like when you are learning a Google application and there is a video showing you what to type, click, where to navigate, etc. So instead of typing out line after line of instructions, make a short video to show them rather then tell them. My class is struggling with their project and Wiki, so I made a video to show them how to do it then I email them the link. HOW COOL!!! Here is the link to the instructional project video I made for them.

Although I have spent many hours playing with this stuff and working though errors it has been fun. However, for me to continue using a product it does have to save me time; not take it.

3 comments:

  1. We missed you in class this week Kerry! So impressed to see how much you've been able to keep up with while in the hospital. Well done! Hope to see you back at school soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tend to use/learn technology when we have to. That is exactly what's happening with you. You have a real reason to learn these tools as a way to stay connected to people. Good on ya! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. However, once the live feed didn't work and when it does it is hard to see the screen due to the camera angle. Can the camera be placed in the middle of the room directly facing the screen.

    ReplyDelete